Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Sundowners - Hummingbird (Single)

It's been a while, I've been away writing for various non-music related sites and media, and spending time building up my main company. However, I've got a few minutes, so thought I'd venture back onto my music blog, and do a few reviews of music that's passed through my facebook/twitter feeds over the past few months. 

The first of these is a Liverpool band called the The Sundowners.  I've seen this band play The Zanzibar on my travels, and just watching the video here, I figured it was time to put pen to paper (virtually).

A few people I know in the business have been 'bigging' these guys up, they are a 5 piece from the Wirral who play Americana style west coast rock.  I've seen a lot of quotes about the "next big thing" from Liverpool.

Fronted by singer acoustic guitar players, Niamh Rowe &  Fiona Skelly, this band live have a very solid infrastructure, backed up by electric guitars, bass and drums they push forward the big sound of Americana despite them mostly playing in Liverpool.

Hummingbird is a strong first single, produced by James & Ian Skelly from The Coral (I'm guessing some relationship with Fiona perhaps), it trundles along with a yellow-tone video reminiscent of the West Coast style.  It gives a happy feeling, when so many bands go for moody, these guys have gone for fun, when so many bands try to muddle through intricate solo's they've gone for simplicity, when so many bands are (still) trying to copy oasis and the beatles in Liverpool/Manchester, they've gone for New Acoustic Rock.

I like the funky intro, I'm a big fan of good melodies carried through songs, and this delivers, the look is good the hook is good.

I think this band are solid, but I don't think they are the finished product, this single, whilst being a cut above most unsigned bands around at the moment still needs to find that next step, that wow that will catapult them into the bigger venues and main stream music.  They are certainly capable of making it, and I look forward to their new releases over the next few months.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment